BLUEBERRY LEMON COFFEE CAKE
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 lemon, sliced into rounds
READY TO BAKE!
Make this recipe using our GreenLife rectangular cake pan
- Prepare to bake — Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Mix dry ingredients — Whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl.
- Prepare the batter — In a medium bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat until fully incorporated. Alternately add flour and buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Bake the cake — Spread half of the batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle with 2 cups of blueberries. Spoon remaining batter over blueberries. Sprinkle remaining blueberries and shredded coconut over batter. Top with rounds of sliced lemons. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Allow cake to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing and serving.
No buttermilk on hand? Try this easy substitute: for each cup needed, add 1 tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice to measuring cup, then fill with milk to equal 1 cup. Stir together and let sit for a few minutes before adding to batter.
Will frozen berries work? Yes! Just rinse in cold water and drain a few times, then gently dry berries with paper towels.