Braised Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed and trimmed with larger ones cut in half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 to 5 ounces Pancetta, diced
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Sauté the sprouts—In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil and butter. Heat until butter starts to foam. Add Brussels sprouts with a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper and sauté, tossing frequently, until sprouts start to brown—about 5 minutes. Stir in pancetta and continue sautéing for another 10 minutes or until pancetta is crispy and sprouts are nicely browned and slightly softened.
- Add the aromatics—Reduce heat to low, add in shallots and garlic, and sauté for another 2 minutes, being careful not to burn garlic.
- Braise the sprouts—Add balsamic vinegar and broth and increase heat to high. Braise sprouts, tossing frequently, until liquid is absorbed and sprouts are beautifully glazed and tender—about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Serve piping hot.