Creamy Mushroom Risotto
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, optional
- Salt to taste
- Heat the stock—Add stock to medium saucepan, bring to a simmer, then lower heat so stock stays hot, but not boiling.
- Sauté the mushrooms—Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a sauté pan. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft. Transfer to a bowl.
- Start the rice—Add rice to sauté pan, along with 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Stir with wooden spoon till evenly coated with butter and oil. Sauté for about a minute until you notice a nutty aroma. Be careful not to let the rice turn brown. Stir in wine until liquid is completely absorbed.
- Stir in the stock—Add stock, one ladle at a time, stirring continuously until liquid is absorbed. Add another ladle when rice is almost dry. Repeat for 20 to 30 minutes until risotto is creamy and grains are tender, but not mushy.
- Finish the risotto—Stir in mushrooms, the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, Parmesan cheese, and parsley, if using. Season with salt to taste and serve piping hot.