Crispy Potato Latkes
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup matzo meal, cornmeal, or flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Prep the potatoes—Mix potatoes and onion in a colander set over a large bowl. Squeeze dry and let drain for 3 minutes. Discard liquid from bowl, but keep the starchy paste.
- Mix the latkes—Transfer potato mix to the bowl along with eggs, matzo meal, butter, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Mix until evenly combined.
- Prep the skillet—Add an 1/8-inch layer of oil to a large skillet over medium high heat. When oil starts shimmering, it’s good to go.
- Fry the latkes—Spoon 1/4-cup portions of latke batter about 2 inches apart in skillet. Press with spatula to flatten slightly. Fry until edges are brown and crispy, about 5 minutes. Flip and cook until the second side is beautifully browned, another 5 minutes or so. Transfer latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil as necessary.
- Garnish and serve—Add your choice of toppings and serve piping hot.