Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 to 4 pound boneless chuck roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 to 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
READY TO COOK!
Make this recipe using our Featherweights casserole
- Prepare to roast—Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Sear the meat—Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season roast all over with salt and pepper. When pan and oil are hot, add meat and sear for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until nicely browned. Remove meat from pan.
- Sauté the aromatics—Add onions to pan and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to brown. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute.
- Cook the roast—Return meat to pan, pour in beef broth, and add rosemary, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer. Cover pot and roast in oven for about 2 hours.
- Add the veggies—Remove pot from oven and add carrots and potatoes, seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover pot, return to oven, and roast until meat and vegetables are fork tender, another 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve—Remove bay leaf and herb sprigs and transfer roast to cutting board for slicing. Return sliced meat to pot and serve warm.
You can’t rush perfection—low and slow roasting is key for transforming tough cuts of beef into impossibly tender roasts.
Our GreenPan Nonstick Ceramic Casserole will be your go-to favorite for everything from roasting meat to simmering soup. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.