Glazed Lemon Loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Juice of two large lemons
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
READY TO BAKE!
Make this recipe using our GreenLife loaf pan
- Prepare to bake — Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- Mix dry ingredients — In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Start the batter — In a medium bowl, beat together butter and sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment set to medium speed. Continue beating until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time, making sure each one is completely incorporated.
- Finish the batter — Add half of dry ingredients and beat on low until just combined. Pour in milk and continue beating until combined. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and beat on the lowest setting or by hand until combined. Resist the urge to overmix or loaf may become dense. Stir in lemon zest.
- Bake the loaf — Transfer batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in top comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let loaf rest in pan for 5 minutes or so before transferring to cooling rack.
- Glaze and cool— While the cake is resting in pan, whisk together lemon juice and granulated sugar. Place cooling rack over aluminium foil or waxed paper to catch drips. Drizzle glaze evenly over hot loaf. Allow loaf to cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing and serving.
Fresh-Squeezed Flavour Anytime
Prep lemons in advance, and you’ll have juice and zest on hand whenever you need it. Pour lemon juice into ice cube trays, then transfer to a zip-top bag when frozen. Each cube has about 2 tablespoons of juice, so it’s easy to thaw just the amount you need. Keep zest in a freezer-safe container and scoop up a tablespoon to equal the zest of one lemon.