Hearty Beef Stew
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Prep the beef—In a large bowl or zip-top bag, mix together flour, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Add beef and toss to coat evenly.
- Brown the beef—Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add beef and cook, stirring frequently, until nicely browned.
- Start the stew—Add beef stock, rosemary, and parsley and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
- Finish and serve—Add potatoes, carrots, and onion to pot and stir. In a small bowl, stir together water and cornstarch. Add to stew, stirring to combine. Cover and simmer until meat and veggies are fork tender and liquid has thickened, another hour or so.
Rushing the cooking process is a surefire recipe for tough and chewy beef. For amazing flavor and tender texture, simmer our stew low and slow.
Our GreenPan Nonstick Ceramic Dutch Oven will be your go-to favorite for all kinds of soups and stews. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.