Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
For true cornbread flavor, skip the flour! Our favorite jalapeño cornbread features 100% cornmeal, paired with cheddar cheese and spicy—or deseeded—jalapeños. Serve up a slice alongside chili, soup, or a rack of BBQ ribs.
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can creamed corn (15 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons diced jalapeños (about 2 jalapeños)—include seeds or not depending on your heat preference
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Prepare to bake—Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly grease 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- Mix the batter—Add cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking soda to a large bowl and stir to combine. Add creamed corn, jalapeños, buttermilk, and eggs and stir till just combined. Add melted butter and continue stirring, then mix in cheddar cheese.
- Bake the cornbread—Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it’s done. Serve warm.
Prepping jalapeños with bare hands is a mistake you’ll only make once! When the capsaicin in the oils come in contact with skin, the burning pain is intense and seemingly endless, as the oil won’t wash away with soap and water. Always wear gloves.
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Cake Pan easily doubles as a baking dish for our flavor-packed cornbread. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.