Light & Fluffy Mashed Potatoes
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warmed in microwave, if possible
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes—Place potatoes in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with well-salted water. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium low. Cover pot and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain potatoes, return to pot, increase heat to high and cook for about 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Mash the potatoes—Use a potato masher to break up potatoes. Add butter and milk, continuing to mash until fluffy and smooth. Whisk in salt and pepper to taste and serve piping hot.