Pan-Seared Lemon Chicken & Crispy Potatoes
- 1 lemon
- 4 large or 8 small skin-on, boneless chicken thighs
- 3 cups potatoes, quartered
- Salt and black pepper
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 1 tbsp yellow onions, minced
- 1/2 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (such as Pinot Grigio)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Slice and Season—Preheat oven to 425°F. Thinly slice half of lemon and discard seeds. Cut the remaining lemon half into 2 wedges. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Cook the Chicken—Prep a large room-temperature pan with 1 teaspoon oil. Add chicken, skin side down, and place pan over medium heat. Cook, letting skin render and brown, and pouring off excess fat to maintain a thin coating in pan, until chicken is cooked halfway through, about 10 minutes.
- Get Ready to Roast—Add quartered potatoes and scatter half the lemon slices over the chicken and half on bottom of the pan. Transfer the pan to the oven, leaving chicken skin side down. Roast until chicken is cooked through, skin is crisp, and lemon slices on bottom of skillet are caramelized, 6-8 minutes.
- Move, Season, and Stir—Transfer chicken pieces, skin side up, and lemon slices and potatoes from bottom of skillet to a warm platter. Return pan to medium heat. Add oregano sprigs, shallot, garlic, and red pepper flakes; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add Wine and Broth—Remove pan from heat. Add wine and cook over medium heat until reduced by half, 1-2 minutes. Add broth and cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Squeeze 1 lemon wedge over and season sauce with salt, pepper, and juice from remaining lemon wedge. Drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil. Return chicken to pan, skin side up, to rewarm. Serve topped with lemon slices.
When we say dry wine, we’re talking about things that aren’t super sweet. That’s Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, or any other crisp white wine. They bring out the flavors of your dish while balancing acidity, and the aroma alone will entice your diners.