Saffron and Cardamom poached Pears
- ½ tablespoon cardamom pods
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup maple or brown rice malt syrup
- 1 ½ tablespoons orange juice
- ½ teaspoon saffron threads
- 4 firm pears, peeled
- Creme fraiche for serving
- Use a rolling pin to slightly crush the cardamom pods without releasing the seeds.
- In a pot large enough to hold the pears comfortably bring together the cardamom, wine, maple or brown rice malt syrup, orange juice, saffron and a cup of water and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the pears and add enough water to just cover the pears. Place a lid slightly ajar and gently simmer the pears until they are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove the pears with a slotted spoon and transfer to a plate.
- Bring the poaching liquor to a gentle boil and reduce by 1/3 or until its nice and syrupy.
- Serve the pears with a tablespoon some creme fraiche and a drizzling of syrup.
Freeze: Not recommended