Sizzling Chicken Fajitas
- For the marinade
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the fajitas
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 red, yellow, or green bell peppers, thinly sliced with ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Marinate the chicken—In a large bowl, whisk together all marinade ingredients and reserve 1/4 cup of marinade. Add chicken to marinade, turning to coat evenly. Marinate chicken for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
- Cook the chicken—Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When a drop of water sizzles in pan, it’s good to go. Shake excess marinade off chicken and place in skillet. Sauté until chicken is golden brown and cooked through, about 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Sauté the veggies—Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet and add onions and peppers. Sauté until veggies have softened slightly, about 4 minutes.
- Finish the fajitas—Return chicken to skillet and add 1/4 cup reserved marinate. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve sizzling hot with warm flour tortillas.
Our spicy marinade also works great with steak or shrimp—use a combo of meats for a fun surf and turf (or turf and turf) variation.
How to Heat Tortillas—Wrap stacks of 5 or fewer in aluminum foil and heat in a 350° F oven for 15 minutes or cover stacks with damp paper towels and microwave in 30-second bursts.