Skillet Chocolate Ginger Banana Bread
Say goodbye to dry banana bread—our version features an abundance of bananas, paired with semi-sweet chocolate, warm baking spices, and a kick from crystallized ginger. Warning; you’ll never want to settle for ordinary banana bread again.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 3 large or 4 small over-ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, optional
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons diced candied ginger, more or less to taste
- Prepare to bake—Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and lightly grease the skillet.
- Start the batter—Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside. In a large bowl, add melted butter and sugar, stirring until blended. Add eggs one at a time, stirring until each is well incorporated. Add mashed bananas and vanilla, continuing to stir until blended.
- Finish the batter—Add flour mixture a third at a time, stirring well after each addition. Add chocolate chips and ginger and stir until evenly distributed.
- Bake the bread—Pour batter into prepared skillet and bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Leave in pan to cool slightly and serve warm.
Overripe bananas are key to this bread’s intense flavor, so you’ll want a bunch that’s well past its prime—the more large brown spots, the merrier.
Our GreenPan Ceramic Nonstick Skillet effortlessly releases banana bread. Plus, the extra nonstick coating makes cleanup incredibly quick and simple.