Skillet Gruyere & Yukon Gold Gratin
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 5 medium Yukon Gold or White potatoes, sliced to 1/8-inch thickness
- 1 cup of grated Gruyere
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Prepare to bake—Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Start the sauce—In a small sauce pan add the cream, salt, and garlic. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Start the gratin—In a 12-inch skillet, add the butter and shallots and sauté over low heat for 5 minutes or until shallots have caramelized. Arrange the sliced potatoes in a spiral pattern on top of the cooked shallots. Pour the cream mixture over top of the potatoes.
- Bake the gratin—Cover skillet and bake in preheated oven for 1 hr and 15 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and turn the oven temperature to broil.
- Finish and serve—Cover the potatoes with the grated Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle with the thyme. Place skillet in oven and broil for 5 minutes until the cheese is crispy and bubbling. Remove from oven and serve warm. Gratin can be stored in the fridge and reheated the next day.