Spanish Tortilla with Crispy Chorizo
- For the tortilla
- 1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 large eggs
- For the chorizo
- 4 chorizo sausages, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- Cook the potatoes—Heat oil in a medium nonstick, ovenproof skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Drop in a slice of potato and when oil starts bubbling add in the rest of the potatoes, along with the onions and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, turning frequently, until potatoes are fork tender but not browned—about 20 minutes or so. Err on the side of undercooking to avoid mushy potatoes.
- Start the tortilla—When potatoes are almost done, beat eggs in a large bowl with a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Use a slotted spoon to transfer potatoes and onions into a large heatproof bowl. Save oil from skillet, then wipe out skillet. Add eggs to potatoes and stir very gently to combine—try not to break potatoes.
- Cook the tortilla—Heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil in skillet over medium-high and add egg/potato mixture. Stir very gently until eggs begin to set, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and spread mixture in an even layer. Preheat broiler to high.
- Finish the tortilla—Continue cooking, giving the pan a good shake every couple of minutes to prevent sticking. When eggs are almost cooked through, about 10 minutes, transfer skillet to oven. Broil until top of tortilla is beautifully browned, about 2 minutes. Remove skillet from oven and invert onto a plate. Use caution (and oven mitts!) to avoid burns. Allow tortilla to sit at room temperature for at least 20 minutes. Serve warm, room temperature, or cold.
- Meanwhile, cook the chorizo—When tortilla has been out of the oven for about 10 minutes, start the chorizo. Add chorizo slices to a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Pan fry, stirring frequently until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Drain all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet and return to medium-high heat. Add chorizo, garlic, and parsley and cook until heated through.
A mandoline makes quick work of thinly slicing potatoes, but if using a chef’s knife, just slice them as thinly (and consistently) as you can.