Spicy Breakfast Congee
- 3/4 cup short grain rice, rinsed under cold water
- 8 cups cold water
- Tablespoon grated ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 9 rashes bacon, sliced into batons
- 4 eggs, best quality
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Tablespoon spring onion, sliced on the diagonal
- Chili (optional)
- Bring together the rice, water, ginger and soy and bring to a simmer over a medium heat, then reduce to a low heat and cook until the rice totally breaks down, this can take up to an hour depending on the rice. Be sure to continue to stir so it doesn’t burn.
- Once the rice is a thick porridge like consistency take a clean pan, add the bacon and cook over a medium heat stirring from time to time. Once the bacon is crispy and cooked remove to a clean plate and then cook the eggs in the bacon fat until set.
- Ladle the warm congee into serving bowls and arrange the eggs, bacon, chili (if using) over the congee, Finish by scattering the toasted sesame seeds and sliced spring onions over the top and serve right away.
Freeze: Not recommended