Zesty Cranberry Apple Chutney
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3/4 cup dried fruit (golden raisins, currents, chopped prunes or a mix of all)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger (from one 1 1/2-inch piece)
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 teaspoon of crushed cloves (from about 10 whole cloves)
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (12 ounces)
- Start the sauce—Add vinegar, orange juice, brown sugar, onion, dried fruit, ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, and orange zest to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves—about 5 minutes.
- Finish the chutney—Reduce heat to medium, stir in cranberries and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until cranberries become tender and start bursting.
- Cool and serve—Remove from heat and transfer to a small bowl. Let stand at room temperature till cool or refrigerate and serve chilled.